Even though it might be challenging to cover for sick employees, it is never a good idea for employees to report for duty when they are ill. They may perform poorly at work and be less productive, in addition to spreading the disease to others.
What arises, though, if you really have the reverse issue and a worker often calls in sick? Most likely, you start to doubt their integrity and motivations.
Let us see how to avoid such a situation
- Clearly define your policies and processes for sick days and absences.
- Be adaptable when it comes to professional schedules and unpaid time off.
- Establish a supportive organizational culture and enlist the assistance of Management and staff
- Address any apprehensions employees may have about keeping their job positions.
- Be approachable to and compassionate to individuals who are suffering from disease or disability.
- Minimize and resolve disputes at work
- Whenever reasonably possible, address future staffing needs.
- Recognize and reward workers for a good job performance
- Employers must address all transgressions of the institution’s sick leave guidelines promptly and systematically.
Reasons for absenteeism
The succeeding is a perhaps few of the most typical reasons for absenteeism:
- Sickness and suffering
- Lack of motivation
- Goading or discrimination in the workplace
- Overstressed or exhausted from stress
- Challenges with children or senior care
- A low level of self-esteem in the job role
Does Sick Leave Include Time Off for Stress?
Employees are affected by mental health issues just as much as physical ailments or accidents. An employee may be required time off and use personal leave if they are having medical or psychiatric issues as a result of stress or are unable to work.
A worker’s inability to work brought on by stress may qualify for individual or caregiving leave if the necessary documentation is presented.
What you can do as an employer
Recording an employee’s attitude is crucial if you feel they are misusing their personal or caregiver leave. Document the dates, hours, and justifications for absenteeism for employees calling in sick.
You could want to start by having a nice demeanour when speaking to your employee. Inform them that you’ve observed they’ve been phoning in a lot recently and that this worries you. Inquire about the situation and see if there is something which you could do to assist.
As an owner, you have the right to ask your employee for documentation to back up their absence justification, such as a doctor’s prescription. Employers must often accept physicians’ confirmation at face value. That is, if a doctor declares a patient to be too unwell to work, the patient is indeed too ill to work.
A business owner has the right to contest a medical exemption, but these situations are uncommon. For instance, if a certificate seems false, a company may be entitled to contest it.
Sensitive and knowledgeable Management of employee sick leave
It’s essential that you comprehend the numerous laws, rules, and privileges that apply to employee sick leave. There are effective and ineffective methods to handle the situation of a worker who frequently reports for sick leave.
There are several ways to deal with what appears to be excessive use of personal leave. These leaves range from having a genuine, informed dialogue concerning their well-being and continuing health and wellness to fulfilling their responsibilities to launching internal disciplinary procedures within which processes encompassing sick leave have not been adhered.
As a business owner one must understand their employees well. But that should not lead to them taking their work for granted. Thus, it Is necessary to balance work and employee well-being.